Bedford is first and foremost a family club. Its members respect its traditions and seek to preserve the ambiance that has been its hallmark for more than a hundred years. First known as the Bedford Lawn Tennis Club, it was created in 1891 by a small group of tennis enthusiasts living in Bedford. In 1896, the club acquired enough land for a golf course and the Bedford Lawn Tennis Club became theBedford Golf and Tennis Club. Today, Bedford offers its members a recently revamped championship golf course comparable to many of today’s top new courses, a practice facility, nine tennis courts, paddle tennis courts and a swimming and diving pool. And for every member, beautiful vistas of color throughout the year, created by the luxuriant landscape and rolling hills of northern Westchester.
The United States Golf Association lists the Bedford Golf and Tennis Club among the 100 oldest courses in America. Located in the rolling hills of northern Westchester County, the Bedford Club was founded, first as a tennis club and in 1896, with the creation of nine holes on newly acquired land, it became a golf course as well. In the twenties, more land was added from adjacent properties and the well-known golf course architect Devereux Emmet was engaged to redesign the original nine holes and build an additional nine to complete the course. Emmet’s course, completed in 1928, was 6400 yards of narrow, tree-lined fairways to small greens that provided a challenge to even the best golfers. Golf course architect Ken Dye was invited to work with a small committee to renovate the course. Black tees were added, fairway bunkers built, a new par five put into place and other holes lengthened to extend the course to 6,660 yards. The Metropolitan Golf Association has assigned a slope of 142 to the men’s back tees and 134 for the women’s red tees.